No matter how many of us love food, there is always that something that makes our stomachs turn in disgust. For me it is both okra and brussel sprouts. Okra because I bought it once and it was so slimy it grossed me out. Brussel sprouts because, well...I heard so many people say how disgusting they tasted when I was growing up, that I never gave them a shot. (Something that is unlike me to do). As a matter a fact, I don't ever even remember seeing them at the supermarket (even though they were there all along!)
So a few weeks ago, when I spotted those little round brussel sprouts sitting on the grocers shelf, being watered and looking green and healthy, I thought to myself, "Just buy them. You have NEVER tried them. Quit prejudging. You may actually like them."

I bought them. I had no idea what to do with them. No recipes to prepare. Couldn't even call mom for a recipe as she has no clue what brussel sprouts are herself (I am Latina and her family menu was always based off of Latin/Spanish food). Brussel sprouts are either not part of the Spanish cuisine, OR mamma can't stand them either. (Guarantee you she has never tasted them).
So I made up my own recipe and decided I would test them on my 3 year old daughter. (Mean mommy right? lol) I knew if she liked them, she would be honest and if I could get her to like brussel sprouts on the first try, I would be a Wonder Woman of a mommy! So....this became my mission! To make some yummy brussel sprouts! Would it be possible??

Here is Vanessa-Alexandra, my daughter. She belongs in Tomatoes Anonymous. She is a tomato addict to the core.)
I didn't think. I just began pulling out whatever I found in the fridge and pantry that I thought might make a good tasting and healthy dish for my daughter. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me, remember the precise measurements, so I'm going to take an educated guess here. If you want to try this at home, you will have to wing it. It's pretty simple and straight forward so that should be no problem ; )
RED CURRY BRUSSEL SPROUTS
GUISO (Prounounced Geeso) (The part of the cooking process that truly flavors your food)
Cooking oil of your choice
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 small onion chopped
2 long green onions
1 large Shallot
1 beefsteak tomato
1 bag of Brussel sprouts (Cut into thin slices)
1 egg (Per dish. To be fried and placed atop the dish once served)
SPICES (Throughout making your dish, taste and add if necessary)
salt
white pepper (for lack of having black pepper on hand)
garlic powder
celery seeds (use A LOT)
pinch of sugar (to take the sourness of the brussels sprouts out)
Few tablespoons of Heavy whipping cream
red curry powder
First you are going to make "El Guiso." Take the onion, tomato, garlic, green onions and and shallots and fry them in the oil. This will release a lot of flavor and water from the vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and let it simmer lightly. Taste and make sure it has a big chunk of flavor. If it does not, don't be scared to add more of the same spices.

I don't know if you can see here, but the brussel sprouts are sliced into thin rounds. You don't want them much thinner than this or they will overcook quickly. Any thicker and they are too brussely for me. ; )

This is the guiso that is going to give your dish such delicious flavor.
After a few minutes add the brussel sprouts. Stir often. Now flavor the brussel sprouts with the same ingredients: Salt, pepper, garlic powder. BUT this time add celery seeds as well. (Make sure to use a good amount!) Wait a few minutes. Taste. If they are too sour you may add a little bit of suger to cut the sour taste. I didn't have to use any sugar, so you may not either.
Now add the Heavy Whipping Cream. No need to be precise with the measurements. Just eye ball it and decide how much sauce you want with your brussel sprouts. Then you'll know how much heavy whipping cream you will need. Be sure to taste it depending on how much heavy whipping cream you use, you may need to season again. (Don't go crazy with too much whipping cream. A little goes a long way!)
Last but not least, add the Red Curry Powder. Not much is needed. This is the kick you are
going to give your dish. Simmer, taste, adjust.

The finished dish!
I forgot to mention that I pair this dish up with some leftover rice from the night before. It was an awkward pairing to say the least. Now what one expects with brussel sprouts, but we were in a rush to go to my daughter's dance class so I didn't have time to get creative with the entire meal. Even though rice and brussel sprouts are not a common pairing, this turned out delicious!

HOW TO SERVE: Place rice on dish. Then to the side, place the brussel sprouts. Place the fried egg on the top and middle of the dish, covering partially the brussel sprouts and the rice. Enjoy!

Not the greatest picture. Very dark and shadowy, but you get the idea.
NEWSFLASH: If you are not a lover of cabbage, don't make this dish. Brussel sprouts taste exactly like cabbage. I can't believe I never figured that out! They look like tiny round cabbages!! (If you already knew this, don't snicker! ; )
DRUM ROLL FOR THE END RESULT ON HOW THE BRUSSEL SPROUTS TASTED....

Vanessa-Alexandra takes a big bite and mommy eagerly and nervously awaits the final results (I feel like she is the judge and I am the contestant on The Next Food Network Star).

Startled expression on her face. No words! No chewing! This can't be good! Mommy shuts her eyes in disappointment...

But then...SURPRISE! She takes another bite!

Then a SMILE! She loves it! Even asked for seconds! I reach over and grab my cape. I am now, officially...WONDER MOM! I ended up tasting the brussel sprouts and love them too!
So a few weeks ago, when I spotted those little round brussel sprouts sitting on the grocers shelf, being watered and looking green and healthy, I thought to myself, "Just buy them. You have NEVER tried them. Quit prejudging. You may actually like them."

I bought them. I had no idea what to do with them. No recipes to prepare. Couldn't even call mom for a recipe as she has no clue what brussel sprouts are herself (I am Latina and her family menu was always based off of Latin/Spanish food). Brussel sprouts are either not part of the Spanish cuisine, OR mamma can't stand them either. (Guarantee you she has never tasted them).
So I made up my own recipe and decided I would test them on my 3 year old daughter. (Mean mommy right? lol) I knew if she liked them, she would be honest and if I could get her to like brussel sprouts on the first try, I would be a Wonder Woman of a mommy! So....this became my mission! To make some yummy brussel sprouts! Would it be possible??

Here is Vanessa-Alexandra, my daughter. She belongs in Tomatoes Anonymous. She is a tomato addict to the core.)
I didn't think. I just began pulling out whatever I found in the fridge and pantry that I thought might make a good tasting and healthy dish for my daughter. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me, remember the precise measurements, so I'm going to take an educated guess here. If you want to try this at home, you will have to wing it. It's pretty simple and straight forward so that should be no problem ; )
RED CURRY BRUSSEL SPROUTS
GUISO (Prounounced Geeso) (The part of the cooking process that truly flavors your food)
Cooking oil of your choice
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 small onion chopped
2 long green onions
1 large Shallot
1 beefsteak tomato
1 bag of Brussel sprouts (Cut into thin slices)
1 egg (Per dish. To be fried and placed atop the dish once served)
SPICES (Throughout making your dish, taste and add if necessary)
salt
white pepper (for lack of having black pepper on hand)
garlic powder
celery seeds (use A LOT)
pinch of sugar (to take the sourness of the brussels sprouts out)
Few tablespoons of Heavy whipping cream
red curry powder
First you are going to make "El Guiso." Take the onion, tomato, garlic, green onions and and shallots and fry them in the oil. This will release a lot of flavor and water from the vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and let it simmer lightly. Taste and make sure it has a big chunk of flavor. If it does not, don't be scared to add more of the same spices.

I don't know if you can see here, but the brussel sprouts are sliced into thin rounds. You don't want them much thinner than this or they will overcook quickly. Any thicker and they are too brussely for me. ; )

This is the guiso that is going to give your dish such delicious flavor.
After a few minutes add the brussel sprouts. Stir often. Now flavor the brussel sprouts with the same ingredients: Salt, pepper, garlic powder. BUT this time add celery seeds as well. (Make sure to use a good amount!) Wait a few minutes. Taste. If they are too sour you may add a little bit of suger to cut the sour taste. I didn't have to use any sugar, so you may not either.
Now add the Heavy Whipping Cream. No need to be precise with the measurements. Just eye ball it and decide how much sauce you want with your brussel sprouts. Then you'll know how much heavy whipping cream you will need. Be sure to taste it depending on how much heavy whipping cream you use, you may need to season again. (Don't go crazy with too much whipping cream. A little goes a long way!)
Last but not least, add the Red Curry Powder. Not much is needed. This is the kick you are
going to give your dish. Simmer, taste, adjust.

The finished dish!
I forgot to mention that I pair this dish up with some leftover rice from the night before. It was an awkward pairing to say the least. Now what one expects with brussel sprouts, but we were in a rush to go to my daughter's dance class so I didn't have time to get creative with the entire meal. Even though rice and brussel sprouts are not a common pairing, this turned out delicious!

HOW TO SERVE: Place rice on dish. Then to the side, place the brussel sprouts. Place the fried egg on the top and middle of the dish, covering partially the brussel sprouts and the rice. Enjoy!

Not the greatest picture. Very dark and shadowy, but you get the idea.
NEWSFLASH: If you are not a lover of cabbage, don't make this dish. Brussel sprouts taste exactly like cabbage. I can't believe I never figured that out! They look like tiny round cabbages!! (If you already knew this, don't snicker! ; )
DRUM ROLL FOR THE END RESULT ON HOW THE BRUSSEL SPROUTS TASTED....

Vanessa-Alexandra takes a big bite and mommy eagerly and nervously awaits the final results (I feel like she is the judge and I am the contestant on The Next Food Network Star).

Startled expression on her face. No words! No chewing! This can't be good! Mommy shuts her eyes in disappointment...

But then...SURPRISE! She takes another bite!

Then a SMILE! She loves it! Even asked for seconds! I reach over and grab my cape. I am now, officially...WONDER MOM! I ended up tasting the brussel sprouts and love them too!
No comments:
Post a Comment