We have all heard of the 5 second rule, haven't we? You know, the one where if food falls to the floor, we have 5 seconds to eat it before it becomes contaminated with everything under the sun.
I myself am a self proclaimed germaphobe. (This may or may not be due to be raised by a brain surgeon father who lived telling me to wash my hands, and a dear friend who is a bacteriologist and is a big part of my life). I have learned more about germs and how the affect you than anyone that doesn't have a specialty in it. I'm sure of it.
So the 5 second rule does not apply to me and never has. I will not eat anything that has touched the floor. My daughter is 3 and she too stays away from things that fall on the floor. (Maybe it's in the genes?)
I wash my hands at least 4 times a day. It freaks me out when I hear people say, "Adriana, you wash your hands too much! You washed them 5 times today!) Well people, there are 24 hours in a day. And 3 of those times I used the toilet. Why aren't YOU washing YOUR hands that many times a day? Don't you use the toilet too??

Last week, my daughter Vanessa, was eating half a chocolate bar (yes I let her have one. I know I'm a meany for not letting her eat too much candy, but that is the rule!) She dropped it on our sidewalk. I picked it up immediately, wiped it off a bit, and gave it back to her. She had a look of shock on her face. I said, "It's alright baby girl. I just won't let you pick it up from a restaurant floor or our kitchen floor. She happily smiled and skipped away.

My friend was there. "Adriana, it's the same thing! A floor is a floor." I disagreed and then this morning, I read in LifeHacker, that it is safer to eat off the sidewalk than your kitchen floor. That your kitchen floor should have a zero second policy. Nothing that touches it should be eaten. If you want to read why, head over to LifeHacker, or for further details, read Julies Health Club column in the Chicago Tribune.
Needless to say...I was right. : )
So for future refrence people...NO EATING ANTYTHING THAT FALLS ON THE FLOOR! But you can eat off the sidewalk.
And THAT...is my lesson for today. ; )
I myself am a self proclaimed germaphobe. (This may or may not be due to be raised by a brain surgeon father who lived telling me to wash my hands, and a dear friend who is a bacteriologist and is a big part of my life). I have learned more about germs and how the affect you than anyone that doesn't have a specialty in it. I'm sure of it.
So the 5 second rule does not apply to me and never has. I will not eat anything that has touched the floor. My daughter is 3 and she too stays away from things that fall on the floor. (Maybe it's in the genes?)
I wash my hands at least 4 times a day. It freaks me out when I hear people say, "Adriana, you wash your hands too much! You washed them 5 times today!) Well people, there are 24 hours in a day. And 3 of those times I used the toilet. Why aren't YOU washing YOUR hands that many times a day? Don't you use the toilet too??

Last week, my daughter Vanessa, was eating half a chocolate bar (yes I let her have one. I know I'm a meany for not letting her eat too much candy, but that is the rule!) She dropped it on our sidewalk. I picked it up immediately, wiped it off a bit, and gave it back to her. She had a look of shock on her face. I said, "It's alright baby girl. I just won't let you pick it up from a restaurant floor or our kitchen floor. She happily smiled and skipped away.

My friend was there. "Adriana, it's the same thing! A floor is a floor." I disagreed and then this morning, I read in LifeHacker, that it is safer to eat off the sidewalk than your kitchen floor. That your kitchen floor should have a zero second policy. Nothing that touches it should be eaten. If you want to read why, head over to LifeHacker, or for further details, read Julies Health Club column in the Chicago Tribune.
Needless to say...I was right. : )
So for future refrence people...NO EATING ANTYTHING THAT FALLS ON THE FLOOR! But you can eat off the sidewalk.
And THAT...is my lesson for today. ; )
No comments:
Post a Comment